Artist in Residence is an annual nine-month residency program, from September to June, where artists are given studio space in one of the five floors of the Fire Station building. The residency is an opportunity for artists residing in Qatar to develop their art practice through the program, which includes mentorship, working with curators, open studios and access to the building’s facilities (fabrication lab, woodshop and exhibition spaces).
Artists are also given the opportunity to showcase their artworks by the end of their residency in an exhibition in the Garage Gallery at the Fire Station.
This residency is open to Qatar-based artists aged 21+. Students enrolled in an Academic program at the time of the residency are not eligible to apply.
The program is open to all artistic practices, including but not limited to visual arts (painting, drawing, sculpture, media art, installation, graphic arts, illustration, etc.), photography, film, sound art, design, and literature.
The residency includes:
• 24-hour access to a private furnished studio space.
• a monthly per diem
• access to the wood workshop and fabrication lab with technical assistance and support.
• mentorship, guidance and critiques throughout the program duration
• Networking opportunities and interactive sessions with artists and guest artists
• media and social media coverage.
• interactive sessions with artists and guest critics (invited artists and curators).
• Open Studio Nights.
• public talks.
• opportunity to participate in the end of program exhibition at the Garage Gallery.